Sunday, March 15, 2009

Lowlife: Creation Part Four: This Week I Ar Bin Mostly Drawin'… Frogs


Frog sketches for Lowlife: Creation part four
Frogs © 2009 The Process Of Evolution

As part of my ongoing attempt to perk my drawing up a bit, I decided to make some effort to suss out frog anatomy, since I was going to be drawing thousands of the buggers:


From page one of Lowlife: Creation part four. I nearly went mad.
Lowlife and associated characters © 2009 Rebellion Developments/2000AD
Lowlife created by Rob Williams & Henry Flint

It was an attempt to break myself of a bad habit; when deadlines are tight I tend to both fudge stuff I don't really know about and design stuff on the page rather than thinking ahead. It's not so much the drawing as the advanced planning and thinking that suffers. It's a pity, because a little advance planning can make a big difference to the quality of the finished product.

That said, I completely winged it drawing the whale:


Page three of Lowlife: Creation part four.
Lowlife and associated characters © 2009 Rebellion Developments/2000AD
Lowlife created by Rob Williams & Henry Flint

3 comments:

Dan Kelly said...

Loed this week

Can we please have a t-shirt of Panel 1?

I. N. J. Culbard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I. N. J. Culbard said...

from your previous post: "I draw comics mostly because I enjoy the comic artist lifestyle. Having the published work has always been a bonus, not an end in itself."

Ditto, and I have you to thank for that! couldn't agree more. When Dorian hit shelves I hadn't really considered the implications of all of that while I was working. And with this rolling schedule on the Holmes books, I've got this constant preoccupation that takes my mind completely off the fact that it's due to be sitting on a book shelf in May etc. I just love the process so much. Monday mornings have become a thing to look forward to rather than dread.

Absolutely love your frogs here. and the studies look fantastic. The level of detail, especially in the leads face, is terrific.